Monday, March 3, 2014

Rollie Zeider and Hometown Connections

Years ago, when Alex and I were just buds, and after finding out he was a big White Sox fan, I sent him information on a former White Sox (and Cubs, and New York Yankee) player named Rollie Zeider. Zeider had been born in the town next to the one I grew up in and, after the big leagues, he moved back to Garrett, Indiana, to open a restaurant called "Polly's," Polly being his childhood nickname. A friend on Facebook recently posted a link to Zeider's Wikipedia page. I clicked on over and soon realized a little family connection. Zeider's second wife Margaret's maiden name was Pilgrim, a name I recognized from my own family tree. With about five minutes of research, I found the Rollie Zeider link! 


I mean, we're practically cousins!


Above, you will see the Pilgrim/Billings crew. Mom and dad, otherwise known as Daniel and Frances. And, I can't say for sure, but I believe the fellow in the top-left corner, is my great-great-great grandpa, Edward, which would mean the young man at the top-right would be Margaret's dad (Rollie's father-in-law!), James. 


Rollie in his heyday. 

By the way, if you happen to be hunting around Garrett for Rollie's restaurant, as one would, it was located at 104 Peters St. Happy hunting. 


No comments :

Post a Comment